Management to reduce negative impacts from business operations
Hotel management by various brands and different policy to manage the environmental impact, it is essential to incorporate policies and practices into one guideline in the same direction. The company is in the process of collecting data of all hotels to be analyzed and set goals to reduce the impact from the business operations of each hotel group.
The environmental working group from the associated hotels is in the process to set corporate environmental goal and the target to reduce carbon dioxide from general operations which expected to be complete by 2022.
Note: During 2020-2021 due to the epidemic situation the hotels were closed under epidemic control measures for the safety of all parties, the energy consumed from operation had decreased in related to the number of tourists
Electricity is a major resource for hotel operation. 2021 witnessed the Company’s studying, verifying and gathering data to reduce electricity consumption and to enhance its efficiency in all types of building. The Company also focuses on designing a new energy-saving building while continuing to take into consideration customer’s comfort. The Grand Hyatt Erawan Bangkok and the JW Marriott Hotel Bangkok are two pilot hotels where electricity consumption data is closely scrutinized to maximize the efficiency of their consumption patterns. This same project will be implemented to other hotels at a later stage.
Practices to Reduce Energy Consumption
- Replace fluorescent light bulbs with LED-T8 18-watt ones. We plan to replace the light bulbs to LED bulbs in every hotel by doing zone by zone since 2019.However, with the epidemic situation the hotesl were closed for a certain period as a result the modification of energy-saving bulbs was interrupted and incomplete.
- Install timers to control on-off switches and alternately turn on/off lighting to promote adequate and energy-saving lighting
- Regularly check the efficiency of machines and systems to avoid the unnecessary energy consumption.
- Hired outsource, NCH Co.,Ltd., to inspect and evaluate the working process of air conditioners of Grand Hyatt Erawan hotel and Accor Hotels Group to ensure efficient performance
Energy consumption data: Collected from consumption of electricity, diesel fuel, gasoline, LPG used in hotel chains. and office buildings which the data for the year 2019 - 2021 excludes Renaissance Koh Samui and ibis Samui hotels and the year 2019 - 2020 does not include Hop Inn Hotels Philippines.
Participating in this project
made the hotel’s electricity bill fall by 9%.
- Courtyard by Marriot Bangkok has installed the chiller plant organization to manage the hotel’s entire cooling system, namely, chiller plant controls, chilled water pump, condenser water pump, cooling tower fan motor and AHU motor. It also adjusted motor’s variable speed to reflect the entire system to control the way the system worked to identify actual heat load in need. In addition, for hotels with more than one chillers, the software managed each chiller and was able to generate an accurate level of cool air, which helped improving the efficiency of the chiller and drastically cut electricity consumed by the entire system.
- Hotels under the Accor Chain have hired NCH Co Ltd to maintain and treat wastewater from cooling tower. The firm also checked and assessed air conditioners to ensure efficient performance. This means cooling tower of a chiller did not need to use a softener device, as heat was better ventilated from the chiller,
It’s expected that energy consumption would fall by 2%.
which cut down the consumption of electricity by 1.5% per degree.
Data of Internal use of electricity usage
kWh*Excluding HOP INN’s energy consumption data
Water significantly supports our business. The company and hotels within the group exercise the following guidelines when it comes to water management and water awareness among staff and hotel guests: that water must be effectively used with responsibility while innovation is introduced to reduce the use of water.
In every hotel, wastewater is treated to meet standard before being released into the public. The treatment is in a closed with aeration system which this treatment it will not emit methane which is the major factor in generating greenhouse gases. In addition, the used water is recycled to reuse for watering plants at Holiday Inn Pattaya hotel, ibis Hua Hin Hotel, The Naka Island Hotel, A Luxury Collection Resort & Spa Phuket and ibis Styles Krabi Hotel and rainwater is stored for use at Ibis Pattaya hotel
Water utilization practices
- Hotel guests are encouraged to repeat using towels and linens to avoid unnecessary laundry
- Staff are encouraged to be aware of the importance of smart water use, for example, not to keep water tap running to avoid wasting water, dispense the right amount of water from a water dispenser.
- Aerators have been installed to limit water flow
- Water-saving toilet bowls are selected.
- Pipes and water meters are constantly checked and repaired to prevent leakage
- Water use is recorded and compared with when water reduction measures are implemented.
- Strict compliance with wastewater treatment practices required by the laws; regular system check to minimize environmental and community impacts.
Water Usage Data Collected from all types of water use data, surface water, underground water, and water purchased used in corporate hotels, 2019-2021 data excluded Renaissance Koh Samui and ibis Samui hotels, and 2019-2020 excluded Hop Inn Hotels Philippines.
Data of internal water use
m3*Excluding HOP INN’s energy consumption data
Realizing environmental impacts generated by the hotel business, the company has separated waste into the following categories:
Waste from kitchen
JW Marriot Bangkok and Light Blue Co., Ltd. have collaborated with the Light Blue Project to reduce food waste from the food preparation phrase down to the cooking and food waste management process.
Scholar of Substance Foundation 2019-2020
|Donated 4,679 kg of surplus food or 14,677 saving.||Donated 2,387 kg of surplus food or 10,026 saving.|
Seafood shell project 2018-2020
|Donated 1.9 tons of dried oyster shells & 951 kg. Dried egg shell||Donated 3 tons of dried oyster shells & 199.23 kg. Dried egg shell|
|Food waste prevention refresher courses 390 hrs.||Improve Food waste reduction 138.5 hrs.|
Greenhouse Gas (GHG) Management
We aim to enhance understanding among executives and staff of the impacts from the GHG emission to climate change. The understanding helps increasing the efficiency of the hotel’s operation, which in turn minimizes negative impacts from our operation through effective consumption of resources, energy saving, waste management, the use of environmental-friendly products and the organizing of low-carbon events. We start to gather information about our GHG emission for further analysis as a basis to improve the GHG emission reduction In the year 2022 with the collaboration of our hotels we expect to completely set corporate goals and operational plans to reduce greenhouse gas emissions.
Practices to reduce greenhouse gas emissions
- Enhance understanding among staff of the impacts from the GHG emission to climate change, aiming to change personnel behavior as well as cultivating resource utilization culture.
- Plan to reduce greenhouse gases emission by increasing the efficiency of the hotel’s operation, focusing on effective energy consumption, worthwhile use of water and select resources with durability including waste management systematically to minimize the amount of landfill waste
- Consider environmental impact as part of the work process and as an indicator of performance.
- Assign corporate activities to be Low Carbon activities, such as bringing a personal water container to reduce package, changing travel behavior to group travel to attend the event, etc.